It is time to reckon with this reality:
- Efforts to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion, without attending to historical harms, are doomed to fail.
- Anyone who is not indigenous to this land is a settler, occupying stolen land.
- Just about every organization, individual, and family in the United States has participated in and benefited from the systemic oppression and exploitation of our essential and frontline communities.
- Most of us have been inadequately responding to the demands to rectify these harmful patterns.
- Government initiated reparations, if/when they happen, will attempt to address systemic harms and help future generations. Reparations initiated by organizations are needed to address institutional and interpersonal harms, and affect current generations who are hurting NOW.
This training is for you if you are:
This practicum integrates the Insight Prison Projects Victim/Offender Education Group (VOEG) transformational re-education program and the Fierce Allies Practice of Change. These two bodies of work prepare individuals and teams to:
- Acknowledge that you, your organization and/or family have been participating in systemic oppression and exploitation
- Commit to excavating and and transforming the patterns of belief that enabled this behavior
- Reconcile the facts of the harm caused. Take responsibility for the impact. Repair the harm caused
- Skillfully engage the shame and rage certain to surface as you navigate the above
- Build strong accountability partnerships with team members
- Embody the following:
- All of the above, in preparation for effective participation in “victim offender” dialogues
→ Emotional-social-somatic intelligence
→ Accountability to indigenous, essential, and frontline members of society
→ Decreased participation in systemic oppression and exploitation
→ Equitable choices that are accountable to the broadest diversity of stakeholders
→ Leadership with a strong equity and justice agenda
- Session 1: BUILDING THE CONTAINER
- Session 2: SHAME & DIGNITY
- Session 3: HARM IMPACT STATEMENT
- Session 4: MEMOIR OF POWER
- Session 5: CYCLES OF HARM
- Session 6: RAGE & HUMILITY
- Session 7: ENVISIONING REPARATIONS
- Session 8: STORIES OF RESILIENCE
- Session 9: REPARATIONS STRATEGY
- Session 10: KEEPING YOURSELF ON THE HOOK
Enrollment in the 2020 public program is currently closed
Until we offer another public training, customized versions can be designed for groups and organizations, allowing your team the following benefits:
- All sessions and all participants will be exclusively focused on developing your group’s reparations strategy.
- A rich fabric of accountability will be woven between the members of your group.
- The stewards of your plan will be prepared to navigate the strong emotions that are sure to come as you move towards the implementation stage.
- Your reparation strategy will be informed by Miakoda’s extensive experience in Restorative Justice, relationship-based strategy for change, emotional-social-somatic intelligence, and trauma healing.
Ready to get started?
Sign up for the Fierce Allies Newsletter to keep up to date
with our work, news, and practice.